Started in 1996 and based in Nairobi, Kenya, Capital FM now caters to Mombasa & the
Coastal region, Eastern and Western Kenya, as well as the international community,
via its website. While several other FM stations catering to all tastes have continued to
appear, 98.4 Capital FM has maintained its popularity – especially among the middle-
class and upper-class markets.
Capital FM has spread its digital media footprint, which is why it says “from Kogelo
to Kansas, you can listen live to Capital FM”. For over 10 years now, Capital FM has
also been offering live streaming of its radio broadcasts to Kenyans and to the world,
making it a truly global station.
Seeing the power of the Internet as a communication medium, Capital FM launched its
Digital Media division. Today its website www.capitalFM.co.ke – receives over 1 million
visitors with over 15 million page views a month. Visitors from across 100 different
countries – with the majority from Kenya (67%), USA, UK, South Africa, Germany,
Canada, Uganda, and even as far as Brazil and Australia – enjoy the Capital FM
THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT CAPITAL FM
- Capital FM was the first radio station in East Africa to offer online radio
- Capital FM’s website news is updated on the minute.
- Capital FM now plays Gospel Music from 6am – 10am on Sunday
- Capital FM has presenters around the clock delighting audiences
- Capital FM was the first station to introduce neo soul to the market.
- The brand was the first radio station to discover, develop and nurture radio DJ
- talent in Kenya.
- Capital was the first media house – and only radio station – to host an Idols-
- based competition searching for raw local radio talent in Kenya.
- Capital FM was the first ever Kenyan station to play rock music, earning it the
- title “the home – and only home – of the best rock music”